Moon Jellyfish Sting Treatment, AllAnimalia.Com – There are some reports about moon jellyfish sting, yet fortunately, none of these are leading to deadly accidents.
For those who have not experienced it yet, it is probably the best time to learn a little more about these sea creatures.
Especially, if the next holiday plans include visiting beaches in tropical regions.
Moon Jellyfish Sting Treatment – Does is Hurt?
Its scientific name is Aurelia labiata. People could spot them in Monterey Bay, California Coast, Japan, and many beaches in warm temperature regions.
It has bell-shaped body, and short tentacles. To survive, moon jelly feeds on small plankton, crustaceans, and brine shrimp.
Even though commonly seen in white, their color changes depending on the diet. When numerous crustaceans are available around, it changes colors into pink.
Sometimes, when brine shrimp is on the season, moon jelly will transform to orange color.
To understand the process of moon light jellyfish sting, imagine a gun. It will be the resemblance of thin tentacles hanging on the bell.
Each of the tentacles is equipped with tiny attacking cells called cnidoblasts. This will be the gun’s bullet loader, containing numerous bullets.
The cnidoblasts has sub part called cnidocil. It appears as small soft hairs, wrapping the cnidoblasts. These hairs represent the trigger.
Cnidocil will be activated when any living creature comes near it. The chemical substance in it reacts to any creature’s body fluid.
Moon Jellyfish Sting Treatment – The Signs and Treatment
The victim of moon jellyfish will immediately get the following symptoms:
- Burning or sore sensation at the contact spot.
- Black or reddish pool on the skin near the contact spot.
- Urging need to scratch the contact spot.
- Bloating cells under the skin.
- Allergic reaction for some people.
Be careful not to scratch the contact spot. The cnidoblast might still be inside the skin. If this spot is scratched, there might be worse skin condition. In addition, the above symptoms will last at least for several hours.
First thing that strikes the victim’s mind is the excruciating pain. Even though it is difficult, try to stay calm and keep focused.
Scream for help from anyone near the location if possible. When the victim is alone, the essential thing to do is reaching the shore. Then, perform the following steps:
- Avoid rubbing with hands or towel. Instead of relieving the pain, they activate the cnidoblast.
- Pour sea water to the contact spot. It helps to remove the remaining cnidoblast. Otherwise, the tentacles might find its way to deeper layer of the skin.
- Make salt solution by mixing hot water and Epsom salt. Another option is to use beach sand. Rub it to the contact spot. It helps to reduce the pain and eliminate more cnidoblast.
- Apply anti-inflammatory cream when your skin swells.
Moon Jellyfish Sting Treatment – Conclusion
Moon jellyfish gets its name from the light it emits under water, bright and clear through its transparent body.
While visiting beaches in warm or tropical countries, one needs to be careful of moon jellyfish sting.
Some basics education about the species and how to handle moon jellyfish sting could be handy at the critical moment.